Thursday, November 4, 2010

What we could do with the bets on the Melbourne Cup…

Recently, over $6,000,000.00 was spent on bets on the Melbourne Cup. In class, we looked at the different websites of organisations that help people in need. We looked at St Vincent de Paul, Caritas, the United Nations, Oxfam and World Vision. We wondered what we could do if we had $6,000,000.00 to help others. This is what some of the students in Year 6 decided they would do with the money.

I would choose to pay for education because without it you won’t get a job. That means no money, no food or water and you’ll be homeless. Next I would choose to have clean water available because without it you would get sick. Next I would want peace because if you don’t have peace there is going to be a lot of fighting and war. If we do have peace and ran work like a family we would have a good community. (Corey)

I would give money to disaster response because it gives you everything you need in an emergency. Next I would give peace because that is what the world needs the most. (Annalise)

The gift of peace helps countries communicate and co-operate. I chose this because I wouldn’t want to be in a country with war going on all around you. The gift of food security helps stop hunger from lives around the world. I chose this because I would not want to go hungry. I would give the gift of health to treat preventable diseases. I chose this because I would like to live longer than 5. I would like to give the gift of clean water. I chose this because it would taste pretty bad if you drank dirty water. Finally, I would give the gift of education. It gives others the opportunity to go to school. I chose this because I like my education and I wouldn’t want anyone missing out. (Joseph)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our school

The Three Robbers